Thursday 17 January 2013

New Beginnings


January is a rather traditional month for new beginnings. So traditional in fact, that I briefly considered not starting this blog till February just to be different. However not starting this till February would likely  render it yet another  project that  fell by the  way side, another entry on the never completed to do list that includes items such as  alphabetising my  cds (never happen) and learning to sew (someday?).  With several projects on other authors blogs that currently interest me, there’s  no time like the present and so here I am at last.

Welcome to L’encre.  There’s a perfectly good (well , reasonable) author’s bio down the side but since this is my first blog entry I want to share a little more about me. I was born in the UK, moved to Switzerland at 6 years old and spent my childhood holidays in France and Italy, somehow failing to learn more than five words of Italian. I returned to England for university, studying all then wrong degrees in Brighton. For me the city’s like that boyfriend you can never quite leave, because for all their stupid flaws their still the best person for you. I completed a course to Teach English as a foreign language and spent two years in a love affair with the country, managing to pick up more than five words this time. Now it’s back to the devil I know ,  I am aim to continue teaching  English in Brighton, complete some of my work in progress and start querying and  spend more time with the newest addition to the family, my tiny, perfect, nephew. ( He’s probably only perfect because I can give him back at the end of the day, but hey ;)).

Like most writers I’m a keen reader. I’ve loved fantasy since I first picked up the hobbit, and focus mainly on both traditional and urban fantasy. However, I also dabble in paranormal romance and YA. I love reading crime, but have never seriously tried my hand at writing it.  One for the future perhaps. I’m always analysing my work and trying to promote a feminist view point. I try to steer clear of damsels who through their hands up and wait for the hero to sae them, though a fair few of my heroines (and heroes!)  end up in distress.  Where would be the fun otherwise?

When  not writing I  can be found drawing  (see the DA link  if you have  an interest in art or would like a character portrait for one of your main characters) singing, (usually loudly, to myself and in the wrong language for the country I’m in at the time) dancing, or just hanging out  and eating all my friends' chocolate.

I aim to try and update this weekly, but as I’ve nothing at the query stage at the moment promotion and networking on here may get side-lined in favour of actually producing more manuscript. At the very least it will be fun to try and get to know other authors and have a platform  to communicate with them and I must say there are some very  intriguing projects being run by people who are currently strangers to me here on blogspot. So with all that out of the way, it’s time for another adventure, this time the lands I’ll be travelling are the mysterious wilds of the internet…

I hope you'll all come along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment